Media Project Week 2 Terrains

 

Terrain Generation


I found some tutorials on infinite terrain generation on YouTube and started working on the concepts. Prof. Paul also suggested looking into the unity engine capabilities for the same functionalities I was looking for. 

Goals: Creating terrains in Unreal engines with Procedural Generation

Project: Using the fundamentals of Blue

I started with the basics. Wrangling those simple triangles and squares in Blueprints felt a bit like building with Legos at first. But here's the cool part: with each shape I connected, the possibilities grew. It felt like I was laying the groundwork for something truly special.

Suddenly, those flat shapes transformed into something with depth and character. It's amazing how a touch of texture can bring your world to life.

Now, I'm venturing further, exploring the world of procedural noise. It sounds fancy, but it's basically a way to create those natural, uneven terrains we see in real life. Think rolling hills, and winding valleys – the kind of landscapes that make you want to grab your virtual backpack and explore.

While the technical aspects are fascinating, what truly excites me is the potential. Procedural terrain generation opens doors to creating endless worlds, each unique and full of possibilities. Imagine building entire game levels or crafting vast, open environments – all with code!

This is just the beginning of my procedural terrain adventure. There's so much more to learn, from advanced noise techniques to optimizing performance. But hey, that's the beauty of the journey, right?

If you're curious about creating your own worlds, I highly recommend checking out this tutorial and diving in. Who knows, maybe you'll be crafting your own epic landscapes in no time!

In the end, with some parameters, I can control the heights or elevation to make the terrain have mountain ranges shown below. Using Blueprint, I worked on creating vertices and triangles which helped in creating a procedural mesh to create a terrain with the help of a Fast Noice Generator plugin in Unreal Marketplace.

Fast Noise Generator in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace (unrealengine.com)




Noise Components used to change the terrain






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media Project Week - 10

Media Project Week - 9

Media Project Week - 5